VW will start making electric vehicles in China in 2014
Volkswagen will start making electric vehicles in China in 2014 and will reach full EV-production capacity four years later, Reuters is reporting, citing VW China operations chief Karl-Thomas Neumann, who was speaking at a Beijing convention.
The German automaker, which has partnerships with China's FAW Group and SAIC Motor Corp., will also debut its first plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle in China in 2015. Neumann said EVs are "desperately needed" in China, the wire service said.
VW is banking on EV demand from a country expected to eventually overtake both the U.S. and Europe when it comes to electric-vehicle demand. Green research firm Pike Research said last year that Asia-Pacific will account for about 617,000 annual sales within five years, almost the number annually sold in North America by that time.
China is VW's largest market, accounting for more than a quarter of the automaker's vehicle sales in 2011. Last year, VW sold 2.26 million vehicles in China, up 18 percent from a year earlier.
In September, China Car Times reported that Volkswagen's Shanghai unit will launch an electric vehicle-only sub-brand with called Tantos, whose first EV model will be the E-Lavida. VW reportedly will likely have another EV-only badge called Kai-Li.
VW will start making electric vehicles in China in 2014 originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- The Customer is not Always Right: Why Supermarkets Show We Have a Problem with Evidence 18 May 2013 | 7:00 am
- Venture Inside the Leading Compliance Platform - Source Intelligence 17 May 2013 | 9:05 am
- AOL Monster Help Day 2013 17 May 2013 | 8:15 am
- 5 Necessary Steps to Better Integrated Reporting AND a More Sustainable Company 17 May 2013 | 8:05 am
- Economic Losses from Disasters Underestimated, ‘Out of Control’ 17 May 2013 | 8:00 am