What is Green Hosting ?
Green web hosting is becoming an important factor for many environmentally conscious customers. Green hosting services should provide all the capacity, speed and features you need, with a legitimate nod to the earth's future. How are they green?
Green web hosts should, first and foremost, offer you the features and services you want and need at a price you can afford. That is, after all, the primary purpose of any web host.
But for an increasing number of us, other elements are important in the companies we choose to support. A web hosting provider, with all its high-end redundant data centers and incredible power, consumes considerable energy. But, as you'll see in green hosting reviews, many companies are starting to take their worldly responsibilities at least a little bit seriously.
Being a green web host doesn't mean the staff have built a windmill outside their offices or covered one wall entirely in solar panels (though this has happened). They may do the small, yet important things - encouraging alternative transportation or telecommuting, going paperless, planting trees or using efficient lighting sources.
Green web hosting reviews will outline a few other, major steps some green web hosts take.
How do green web hosts do it?
Green web hosts may use one or more of the many options below to reduce its footprint on the world:
Purchase "green tags": Usually, a green web host will opt to buy green energy tags or green tags from a certified company to match their energy consumption. By doing this, they will ensure that an amount of green energy - wind, solar or similar - equivalent to their own consumption will be pumped into the power grid.
Purchase carbon credits or offsets: These are similar to green tags. Here, green web hosts will likely purchase carbon credits to match its energy consumption. The money spent on the credits will go towards green energy projects and creating clean sources of electricity.
Efficient data center operations: A well-organized data center, with efficient cooling systems, can save more energy than you might first think.
Energy-efficient servers and office equipment: You may notice, as you read green hosting reviews, that certaingreen web hosts have also committed to reducing their carbon consumption by purchasing efficient servers and other equipment. This can greatly reduce the energy consumption of a company - and may even result in some all-around cost savings.
Read these reviews John Landowski's with a critical eye. It bears remembering that "being green" has become a bit of a trend lately, and many companies are jumping on the bandwagon - not always for the right reasons.
Make sure your green web host is walking the walk as well as talking the talk. Consult World Green's sustainable hosting list and make the ethical, earth-friendly choice for web design services. Contact us to for more info.
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- RecycleForce Keeps Electronic Waste Out of Landfills and Ex-Felons Out of Prison 22 May 2013 | 12:45 pm
- Campbell Soup Company Recognized by National Business Group on Health for Promoting Healthy Workplaces and Lifestyles 22 May 2013 | 10:45 am
- Skype from the Top of the World 22 May 2013 | 9:55 am
- Kaiser Permanente to Pursue Minimum of LEED Gold for all New Major Projects 22 May 2013 | 9:15 am
- Video Tribute to 2013 Warrior Games Presented by Deloitte 22 May 2013 | 8:45 am