Electric Commuter Trike a Beautiful Ride
by Steve Duda
Austrian-based designer Valentin Vodev recently debuted the Vienna, his electric-assisted, foldable trike, at the 2011 Bridgestone Eco Rally. The bike, with its strikingly minimal and angular lines, is frankly modern, sexy and gorgeous. But a look under its drop-dead facade reveals a tough, workhorse bike loaded with innovative and practical features that make it an excellent option for the rigors of urban commuting.
Although the bike is technically a trike, its wheel base is remarkably narrow. Combined with a unique steering and suspension system that actually "leans" into corners and turns, the trike rides like an agile, responsive two-wheeler. That narrow wheelbase also comes in handy when it's time to store the electric bike, as the Vienna is completely foldable and breaks down into a tidy, compact package.
The bike features a sturdy back rack/platform which can load quick-release cargo boxes capable of hauling up to 40 kilos (88.2 lbs) of gear or groceries. If your cargo is a bit more precious, the Vienna features a specially designed child's seat.
With a single charge, the Vienna has a range of up to 60 kilometers (37.3 miles) when assisted by pedaling. The electric assist also makes those imposing hills a bit less formidable. The trike can reach a comfortable cruising speed of up to 22 km/h (13.7 mph) and charge time is a speedy three hours.Reprinted with permission from EarthTechling
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- The End of the Party?: GE to Open Helium Reuse Plant as Shortage Worsens 20 May 2013 | 9:15 am
- Ecolab Event Raises More Than $130,000 for the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation 20 May 2013 | 9:15 am
- Rynae Benson honored with Spirit of Volunteerism Award in Orange County, California 20 May 2013 | 8:00 am
- NAEM to Offer Strategies for Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management 20 May 2013 | 7:35 am
- 2013 Warrior Games Presented by Deloitte Concludes with Chairman's Cup, Ultimate Champion Presentation 20 May 2013 | 7:05 am