Volkswagen's 235-mpg XL1 caught hot-weather testing
Earlier this year, we caught the Volkswagen XL1 testing in some cold-weather climates, and as the ultra-fuel-efficient hybrid gets closer to production, some more spy photos have surfaced showing the car performing hot-weather tests. A production version of this diesel plug-in hybrid car is expected to return 235 miles per gallon, and it could be on sale in limited numbers by next year.
Looking very much like the 2011 Volkswagen XL1 Concept, this prototype stands out with its streamlined shape and its inset, narrow rear track. The last time we saw the XL1 in prototype form, it had door mirrors mounted outside the car either as camouflage or in place of the side cameras, but these latest shots show that the car will in fact rely on cameras for driver visibility. The lack of door mirrors should help keep the car sleek - Volkswagen listed the concept's drag coefficient at just 0.186. This car is also missing the full rear-wheel covers that will give the car optimal aerodynamics.
With the gullwing-like doors open, we can also see some of the interior, which has a very similar appearance as the concept including the large gauge cluster, navigation screen, shift lever and center stack controls. The instrument panel and A-pillar look to made from carbon fiber. One thing we can't see from this shot is the arrangement of the passenger seats. The concept car featured an offset seating configuration, and it isn't clear if this will carry over to the production design.
From these shots we can also see into the rear engine compartment showing a large cooling fan over what is expected to be a small, two-cylinder diesel engine. This efficient engine combined with a 27-horsepower electric motor and seven-speed DSG transmission is what will help give this car its triple-digit fuel economy numbers.
Volkswagen's 235-mpg XL1 caught hot-weather testing originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:35:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- Testing New Leak Technologies in Gas Transportation 21 May 2013 | 8:15 am
- Deloitte, XPRIZE and Singularity University Form Alliance and Launch the Innovation Partnership Program 21 May 2013 | 8:05 am
- CSX Team Honored for Rebuilding Ecosystem at Gautier Wood Treatment Facility 21 May 2013 | 6:45 am
- GM Donation Helps Clean Historic Site with Trees 21 May 2013 | 6:00 am
- SAP Africa Rolls Out Social Sabbatical Programme 21 May 2013 | 6:00 am