Press Release: Tyres To Trees – Site Launches UK’s First Green Vehicle Disposal Service
Environmentally conscious motorists are being given the chance to turn their unwanted cars into newly planted trees – for the very first time.
Scrap Car Plant Tree, which launched this week, allows motorists to donate unwanted vehicles and uses the money raised through their disposal to plant trees in a city of their choice.
The innovative and free to use recycling scheme enables people to offset their car’s carbon footprint and offers the most environmentally friendly means of car disposal currently available in the UK.
Money made from each disposal will go to UK charity Trees for Cities, which plants trees and creates green spaces throughout Britain’s urban areas.
Scrap Car Plant Tree expect to fund the planting of 13 saplings on average per disposal which will offset around a year’s carbon emissions – although some vehicles will be able to provide significantly more.
By following a few simple steps on the website motorists can choose to have their vehicle scrapped and donate the proceeds or, if the firm believes more money can be raised, can put their car up for auction with the additional proceeds going towards further planting.
Collection of the vehicle is taken care of through the site and users are notified after the disposal just how much money was raised to fund urban tree planting.
Steve Hewson from carbon footprint calculation experts co2balance commented: “This is a great initiative and just the sort of innovative problem solving approach to environmental issues that co2balance applauds.
“The application of a business methodology to utilise the value of recycle materials to fund great work like this is really impressive.”
Alex Harvey from Giveacar.co.uk, who manage the vehicle’s disposal, said: “We are thrilled to be part of an idea that will have such a positive impact on the way that people think about their end of life vehicles and the damage they may have done in their lifetime.
“Each car that is disposed of will offset at least one year’s carbon emissions and vehicles which are auctioned could provide significantly more carbon relief, which can only be a good thing for the environment.
“Everybody is aware of how bad cars are for the environment so what better way to give something back than by funding the planting of new trees when getting rid of an unwanted vehicle?”
If your car has reached the end of the road and you would like to donate it, call 020 0011 1664 or visit www.ScrapCarPlantTree.org.uk.
*Source - co2balance.com
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- Verizon Activates Oklahoma City Emergency Response 21 May 2013 | 12:30 pm
- One Planet Webinar: H&M on Sustainable Fashion 21 May 2013 | 11:00 am
- Allstate Assisting Oklahoma Homeowners After Severe Tornadoes 21 May 2013 | 10:30 am
- XL Group plc Announces Plans for Global Day of Giving on Thursday, May 23, 2013 21 May 2013 | 10:15 am
- Make your own Game with Social Value 21 May 2013 | 10:00 am