Survey: People Want More Green Homes
It turns out that a green, energy efficient home built with sustainable materials is “most wanted,” according to a Yahoo! Real Estate survey of 1,500 current and aspiring homeowners. Homeowners prefer a green home (50%) over a custom home (38%), water view (38%), suburb (31%), or living on the beach (27%). Yahoo! found that homeowners don’t want urban locations, gated communities, or castle-style homes.
When asked about the top reasons for moving, survey respondents said they want a home that suits their style (47%), that’s larger (45%), that suits a life stage (44%), or that’s in a better neighborhood (30%). About 27% would consider it a top reason to move when the home is “more environmentally sustainable.”
Lastly, about 59% of people responding said they would prefer to own a home. When asked for their reasons for not owning a home yet, aspiring homeowners said they lack a down payment (53%), lack capital/income (51%), or have insufficient credit (38%).
So, what’s this saying about our housing culture at this point? It seems people still want to own a home that’s spacious and in the suburbs — notwithstanding all sorts of talk about living in cities, downsizing, and renting — so long as the home is either green or energy efficient. Thoughts?
[+] American Dream Homes Turn Green from Yahoo! Real Estate.
Related Articles on JetsonGreen.com:
- Green Projects to Save Money [Survey]
- Survey: Saving Energy is Top Priority
- The (Green) Tiny House Movement
Posted: 2011-12-18 23:49:37
- RecycleForce Keeps Electronic Waste Out of Landfills and Ex-Felons Out of Prison 22 May 2013 | 12:45 pm
- Campbell Soup Company Recognized by National Business Group on Health for Promoting Healthy Workplaces and Lifestyles 22 May 2013 | 10:45 am
- Skype from the Top of the World 22 May 2013 | 9:55 am
- Kaiser Permanente to Pursue Minimum of LEED Gold for all New Major Projects 22 May 2013 | 9:15 am
- Video Tribute to 2013 Warrior Games Presented by Deloitte 22 May 2013 | 8:45 am